DWA 2014/2015 Charities and Projects
The DWA would like to thank our wonderful DCC community for all of the support received over the past 15 years! You have believed enough in the DWA to become active members, to attend fund raisers and to graciously donate to the various charity drives. Because of your generosity, we are now able to make contributions to ten outstanding local charity organizations and projects!
The 2013/2014 Community Connections Committee and Board met on Thursday, February 6, 2014, and based on the recommendations made, the Board has chosen the following charities and projects for the 2014/2015 year:
1. Wolfson Children's Hospital: $1,500 This donation will be used to purchase diapers for the Children's Hospital. The DWA will sponsor a community Diaper Drive that will be held April 1-13. Chairperson: Mary Stelbrink 363-2360.
2. Books-A-Go-Go: $1,000 Books-A-Go-Go, Inc. is a non-profit organization that collects new and used books for children from low income families. The books are distributed to children through schools and organizations which serve these children. The donated funds will be used to purchase new books. A community-wide book drive will be held in September with date (TBA). Chairperson: Natalie Jackson 519-5802.
3. The Bag Ladies: $1,000 The Bag Ladies will use their donation to purchase supplies and material for bags that are made and then filled with items such as gold fish snacks, toiletries, coloring books and crayons, flashlights, batteries, and a stuffed toy. These bags are given to children upon arriving at Hubbard House to make their stay a little more comfortable. Chairperson: Jan Malick 519-5013.
4. Jacksonville Humane Society: $1,500 donation given to the center. The DWA will continue our support the JHS with a focus on adoptions of rescued pets. Chairperson: Pam Overbay 363-6483
5. Mandarin Food Bank: $1,500 The Food Bank will use the donation to purchase food or other necessary items for those in need. In the near future the DWA will be organizing a community food drive to assist the Mandarin Food Bank. Chairperson: Carmen Kelly 519-0622.
6. Ronald McDonald House: $1,000 This charity supports the health and well-being of children by providing lodging and other services for critically ill, chronically ill and seriously injured children and their families. The DWA donation will go towards the purchase of items needed for the facility. A DWA community drive for the children will be held at a date to be determined.
7. Pace Center for Girls: $1,000 PACE provides girls and young women an opportunity for a better future through education, counseling, training and advocacy. The needs for PACE would include donation of items to be used in the strictly volunteer "Clothes Closet" and the donation of clothes, shoes, etc. for the girls to "buy" in the "Clothes Closet". Chairperson: Vicki Khan 519-7722.
8. RITA Foundation: $600 This donation will enable the RITA Foundation to purchase items needed for theirSenioRITA Tennis Tournament silent auction. The RITA (Research Is The Answer) Foundation, Inc. is an all-volunteer 501(c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to raising money and awareness for cancer research. RITA donates 100% of the net proceeds from special events such as the SenioRITA to this cause. Chairperson: Carol D'Onofrio 519-0924.
9. We Care: $1,000 This organization was founded by Deercreek residents who send monthly Care Packages to a 40 member Marine Corp Unit stationed in Helmand Province, Afghanistan. The boxes contain items of necessity such as razors and lots of goodies to let these Marines know that they are very much appreciated and not forgotten. Chairperson: Patricia Mast 223-3739.
10. Gabriel House of Care: $1,000 The mission of this nonprofit organization is to provide an affordable extended-stay hospital hospitality house for caregivers and cancer and organ transplant patients receiving medical care away from home. Gabriel House of Care is located on the Mayo Clinic Florida campus in Jacksonville. The DWA will be coordinating a Wish List Drive for the Gabriel House of Care. Look for the date announcement in a future newsletter. Chairpersons: Jan Malick 519-5013 and Dana Southall 210-6610.
Posted on Wed, April 30, 2014
by Natalie Jackson